Wednesday 21 March 2012

Tumble Bee by Laura Veirs (audio cd)

This cd is such a big hit at my house right now that I thought it worth making an exception to champion a music selection instead of a book this week.

Laura Veirs is one of my new children's music heroines.  Tumble Bee is her first release specifically for children (inspired by the birth of her son), and it's a great album in its own rite. Beautifully arranged and lovingly produced, it brings together a melodic collection of American folk songs that appeal to both kids and adults. 

I've been known to play this on a loop for over an hour in the car while E naps. It's my soundtrack of the moment and when I lost it last week inside a Luna cd case I had a slight panic, but all is now right with the world again and Tumble Bee is back in the car.  It features a healthy mix of recognizable folk melodies -- some get E dancing and shouting 'Quack, quack, quack' along with the lyrics -- and others are soothing background music for reading. 

If you like American folk music then you really have to check her out (http://lauraveirs.com). And if you like Veirs then have a look at the multiple releases for children by another one of my music heroines, Elizabeth Mitchell (http://youaremyflower.org).

No comments:

Post a Comment