Tuesday 3 April 2012

The Country Bunny by DuBose Heyward

The Country Bunny and the Little Gold Shoes is the full title of this Easter classic. This was one of my all time favorite books as a child but a straw poll of friends and peers reveals that it's a little known title, especially in the UK. I think it's time we change that! 

Originally published in 1939, this little book tells the story of a very brave mother bunny who just happens to be a fine feminist heroine. Despite her age, gender and circumstances, Mother Cottontail earns the noble and prestigious honor to take up a place as one of THE five Easter bunnies.  And she does this while still maintaining a happy home with twenty one young bunnies.  It's no wonder that I keep finding new things to like about this book!

'Wise, and kind, and swift' are the traits that every chosen Easter bunny must exhibit and Mother Cottontail does so in spades. These are important life living qualities to talk about with your little reader and I hope to do so with E one day.  I say one day because at this stage The Country Bunny is not part of our daily or nightly reading ritual ... and this is despite my best efforts to talk up the bunnies, the eggs and anything remotely related to commercial ideas about Easter. 

It's a meaningful story with gloriously nostalgic illustrations and it's found a permanent place in our home.  Hopefully it will soon move from my bedside table to E's shelf but I'll try to be wise and let him move at his own pace.  Have a read of this title even if it's just for your own pleasure.  I think you'll find it time well spent.

No comments:

Post a Comment