Monday 10 June 2013

My Dad by Anthony Browne



 Regular readers will know that I'm a big fan of Anthony Browne's books. I hadn't realised that he had written a book just about Dad's, but when I spotted this one at the grocery store last week I decided it was the ideal gift for E to give his Pop.

Filled to the brim with Browne's whimsical illustrations, it's a sweet story (though not sappy) of a child's admiration for their Dad. It's told from the child's perspective and wonderfully catches that innocent, unconditional admiration with lines such as: 

'My Dad is bigger than a house' 

and 

'He's strong as a gorilla'


I love that it starts off so simply with the claim that 'He's all right, my Dad.' And true to Browne's playful nature, the Dad in this book spends the entire story dressed in striped pj's and an old plaid robe (aka tartan dressing gown). 

This is a great read for your little reader and I think a great gift book as well.  To hear Anthony Browne talk about the book click on this link:


Happy reading and happy father's day!



No comments:

Post a Comment